Slain Handwara Student Laid To Rest Amid Massive Protests

Massive Protests Rocked Tarathpora Village Of Handwara In North Kashmir’s Kupwara District On Thursday Against The Killing Of The Local Civilian In An Alleged Staged Encounter In Hafruda Forests Two Days Back. Meanwhile, The Government Has Ordered A Magisterial Probe Into The Incident. Eyewitnesses Said Thousands Of People Staged Protest Demonstration Seeking Registration Of FIR Against The Army Personnel For Killing The 21-year-old Under-graduate Student, Shahid Bashir Mir. They Said The Protests Took An Ugly Turn On Thursday When Officials From The Civil Administration Reached Tarathpora Chowk Where People Were Protesting With The Body Of The Slain Youth. As Soon The Senior Officials Led By Deputy Commissioner Kupwara, Khalid Jehangir Arrived At The Scene, The Angry Protestors Resorted To Massive Sloganeering And Stone Pelting. “The Protesters Torched At Least One Official Vehicle And Damaged Two Other Vehicles Which Were Part Of Deputy Commissioner’s Cavalcade,” Eyewitnesses Said. Police Resorted To Teargas Shelling And Pellet Firing To Disperse The Protesters. Eyewitnesses Said At Least Three Persons, Including A Woman, Sustained Injuries During Clashes Between Forces And Protesters. Following The Protests, The Government Ordered Time-bound Magisterial Probe Into The Killing Of The Civilian. “After Seeking Information From Police, I Was Informed That The Slain Youth Was Not Involved In Any Subversive Or Criminal Activity. Further Action Will Be Taken On The Same Basis. We Will Conduct Speedy Investigation Into The Incident,” Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Told Reporters. “I Have Also Ordered A Magisterial Inquiry Which Will Be Reported In A Week. After That Appropriate Action Will Be Taken,” He Informed. Asked Against Whom FIR Would Be Registered, Jehangir Said, “We Are Working Out As To Against Whom FIR Could Be Lodged Unless It Is Established That Who Are Actually Involved. Subsequently Specific FIR Will Be Registered Against The Involved Persons. We Are Working On It And The Process Is Going On.” After Assurance From The Administration, The Protestors Performed The Victim’s Last Rites. Thousands Of People Attended The Slain Youth’s Funeral Prayers After Which He Was Laid To Rest In The Local Graveyard Amid Pro-freedom Slogans. Sources Said The Authorities Had Blocked All Major Entry Routes To Trathpora To Foil Large Public Assembly. They Said Police And Paramilitary Forces Were Deployed At Major Check Points And Barricades Were Erected To Prevent People From Heading Towards The Protest Site. Meanwhile, Complete Shutdown Was Observed In Handwara Town, Trathpora And Adjoining Areas While A Partial Shutdown Was Observed In Kralpora, Kupwara And Trehgam Areas Against The Civilian Killing. Schools And Colleges In Kupwara And Baramulla Districts Remained Closed As A Precautionary Measure To Prevent Student Protests. Meanwhile, Srinagar-based Defence Spokesman, Col Rajesh Kalia Said Army Launched Specific Intelligence-based Operation In The Haphruda Forests On The Night Of August 21-22. “The Army Column Was Fired Upon By Militants Which Was Retaliated. During Search Operations Body Of An Individual Was Recovered And Handed Over To The Police. Further Investigations Are On To Ascertain The Facts,” Kalia Said.